200 hours later, we finished the water tank! Parts 1 (Building an Integral Water Tank) and 2 combined for a rewarding job; now we have double the water capacity (65 gallons), more storage, and an easy to clean cabin sole.
Installing 3 inspection ports
Using an angle grinder to recess the inspection port to stand less proud
Brew coat on the bottom of the sole/tank top
Brew coat (second coat)
Third and last coat
After finishing the brew coat (a food grade epoxy coating), we prepared to epoxy the forward sole section and the main cabin sole/tank top into position. We applied epoxy to the tops of the flange from the old cabin sole, and to the new floors and baffles in the water tank.
Forward sole, to be glued down first
Forward sole section (future storage) with epoxy
Sole/tank top glued in! Filler pieces showing
Fairing/sealing tank top in
Aft plumbing for vent and supply
Bilge side plumbing: vent and supply
FInished border paint (interlux epoxy primekote), also cream color interlux perfection with non skid
We finished the project by filling and painting the border of our new sole. Our water system works great! Check out our galley post to see our bucket sink, foot pump, and water filter.
Traditional sliding companionway designs seem to be the standard, few other options are available. However, we were not satisfied with Dawn Treader’s original design. While researching watertight designs and oceangoing rowboats, we found interesting hatch options that looked to be compatible. We chose the Lewmar Ocean 70 hatch for its large entryway, strength, and watertightness.
Dry fit of hatches
Original design with nesting dinghy on top.
Bridge deck and portion of cockpit footwell had to be cutout
Installing bulkhead to support the hatch, Changing the cockpit footwell dimensions
Hatch installations complete!
Applying fairing compound
New solid top, all joints were fiberglassed
Dinghy in place over little hatch, experimenting with lashing
Continuing with construction, making hatch framework
A few things changed simultaneously with the new companionway; look for new posts coming soon! Our cockpit footwell volume was reduced. Cabin ventilation was enhanced with the addition of a Lewmar Ocean 30 below the nesting dinghy. Inside the cabin, we now have more space! Our galley area has more elbow room, the new navigation station is in progress, and the cabin design is more open. The cabin sole also has 2 more usable feet of space (we are installing new sole as a result of the water tank project), and now there is ample room for a yoga mat!
Original interior, icebox on the right
Mahogany frame with pine filler piece
Filled, trimmed, and rounded
Sharp corners rounded
Instrument holes filled, trim epoxied in place
Icebox removed, Sink moved from center to starboard side
Closed hatch, good visibility!
Aft cabin view
We are happy with the companionway redesign! Exit and entry are easier than before, and we are excited to test our watertight hatch at sea! With this big project done, we are one large step closer to sailing.
The original V-Berth left something to be desired: storage, comfort, style, etc. Some of the original cabinetry had been cut away to accommodate an obsolete holding tank, and the volume of available space was largely inaccessible with the previous compartment design. V-berth reconstruction was also a great opportunity to add structure and strengthen the forward third of the Dawn Treader. Its watertight integrity has been enhanced with new watertight compartments. The V-berth platform was also raised 8 inches above the waterline.
We are super excited to set up our sewing work area in the coming weeks! We’ve got foam, fabric, and a Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ-1! Let the sewing lessons begin! We’ll see how things turn out…
We painted interlux epoxy primekote on the interior cabin. We like the matte finish and high build easy application. Its also a hard durable finish that works inside (less vulnerable to sunlight), so we avoid the high-gloss, expensive, difficult to apply top coat perfection that we use outside.
We’ll be updating with more paint in the future, and this is a great base for almost anything we choose.
Our new spring 2014 deck paint was interlux perfection, and kiwi grip for non-skid. After our 2015 exterior construction projects, we’ll be painting again. We like the old saying…If it doesn’t move paint it, if it does move, give it a paintbrush.