We move about the world at an irregular pace. Occasionally we sail fast and appear to be on track to girdle the entire globe in a year. Other times we seem stagnant, as if we have arrived to our destination and our journey is over. Of course neither is true for long. No matter how fast we sail, we will slow down sooner than later. Dawn Treader, Debbie, and I can only pretend so long before we reveal our true slow natures. But when we seem most stuck, we are actually purposefully moving to rest ourselves, prepare our boat, and wait for a season to arrive. Continue reading Video: Refinishing the Bowsprit
Seawinds were designed with large cockpit footwells. If confronted with a survival storm, we plan to lay to a series drogue, exposing our stern to breaking waves. This makes a strong, small volume cockpit essential. Continue reading Cockpit Footwell
The last steps of removing our inboard diesel engine were removing the propeller and filling the aperture. Both created a substantial drag; filling the area has enhanced Dawn Treader’s ability to sail in light winds. We are quicker to accelerate, and consistently achieve faster speeds. We are amazed with how our sailing performance has improved, and it makes voyaging without an inboard diesel easier! Continue reading Propeller Aperture
Thank you James Baldwin (atomvoyages.com) for creating this video of the Dawn Treader!
Traditional sliding companionway designs seem to be the standard, few other options are available. However, we were not satisfied with Dawn Treader’s original design. While researching watertight designs and oceangoing rowboats, we found interesting hatch options that looked to be compatible. We chose the Lewmar Ocean 70 hatch for its large entryway, strength, and watertightness.
A few things changed simultaneously with the new companionway; look for new posts coming soon! Our cockpit footwell volume was reduced. Cabin ventilation was enhanced with the addition of a Lewmar Ocean 30 below the nesting dinghy. Inside the cabin, we now have more space! Our galley area has more elbow room, the new navigation station is in progress, and the cabin design is more open. The cabin sole also has 2 more usable feet of space (we are installing new sole as a result of the water tank project), and now there is ample room for a yoga mat!
We are happy with the companionway redesign! Exit and entry are easier than before, and we are excited to test our watertight hatch at sea! With this big project done, we are one large step closer to sailing.
We decided to remove out Yanmar 3GM30F and its related systems in favor of a 6 horsepower Tohatsu Sailpro Outboard Engine. We haven’t had the need for all the power of the 27 horsepower diesel. We now have more valuable space and hopefully less maintenance! By removing the inboard engine we are now able to divide the aft third of the boat into watertight compartments. We’ll update more about that project later!
Our cockpit underwent construction. A new sol was put in (look for that post soon). We built a bracket for our new outboard mount out of aluminum, and we can’t wait to test it out!
In pursuit of our watertight cabin goal, we decided to replace the original forward hatch with a Lewmar Ocean 60 Watertight Hatch. We built a mahogany combing to mount the hatch on a flush surface, and to avoid splash when the hatch is in its vented position. At first this hatch was difficult to close. So difficult we thought it faulty. However, with strength and weight focused on the handles at their attachment points, we can now close it with increasing ease (thank you James).
For storm management we built a Jordan series drogue from a Sailrite kit. It consists of 107 cones and is deployed from the chainplates we fabricated and installed on the stern. The series drogue keeps the stern oriented to the weather.
Junior was born in 2013. He was built in Beaufort, North Carolina according to plans by Graham Byrnes.
After 2 years of sailing, Junior was ready for some TLC. His makeover was our first project upon return to the states in spring of 2015.
Check out this short video of Brian taking Junior apart in the water: Video: Nesting Dinghy, Quick Disassembly.
Our new spring 2014 deck paint was interlux perfection, and kiwi grip for non-skid. After our 2015 exterior construction projects, we’ll be painting again. We like the old saying…If it doesn’t move paint it, if it does move, give it a paintbrush.