New cushions! We thought the project daunting, but instead, it was actually a small part of our refit commitment. The key was to have a large organized workspace. Thank you to Debbie’s parents and their ping pong table. The new cushions are more comfortable than the tired old versions, and the updated fabric makes the cabin feel fresh.
A perfect job for last winter, the v-berth insulation project kept us working, and kept us warmer. Aside from cutting large sheets of material on the dock, we had an easy inside job. Once we decided on the materials, we finished in 2 days! After contemplating the options for too long, this was pleasant surprise! Continue reading V-berth Insulation
The last steps of removing our inboard diesel engine were removing the propeller and filling the aperture. Both created a substantial drag; filling the area has enhanced Dawn Treader’s ability to sail in light winds. We are quicker to accelerate, and consistently achieve faster speeds. We are amazed with how our sailing performance has improved, and it makes voyaging without an inboard diesel easier! Continue reading Propeller Aperture
Thank you James Baldwin (atomvoyages.com) for creating this video of the Dawn Treader!
The bucket sink is versatile and moveable. In Dawn Treader, the first location was below the companionway.
Our simple galley design has made its everyday use clean, easy, and fun.
200 hours later, we finished the water tank! Parts 1 (Building an Integral Water Tank) and 2 combined for a rewarding job; now we have double the water capacity (65 gallons), more storage, and an easy to clean cabin sole.
After finishing the brew coat (a food grade epoxy coating), we prepared to epoxy the forward sole section and the main cabin sole/tank top into position. We applied epoxy to the tops of the flange from the old cabin sole, and to the new floors and baffles in the water tank.
We finished the project by filling and painting the border of our new sole. Our water system works great! Check out our galley post to see our bucket sink, foot pump, and water filter.
Traditional sliding companionway designs seem to be the standard, few other options are available. However, we were not satisfied with Dawn Treader’s original design. While researching watertight designs and oceangoing rowboats, we found interesting hatch options that looked to be compatible. We chose the Lewmar Ocean 70 hatch for its large entryway, strength, and watertightness.
A few things changed simultaneously with the new companionway; look for new posts coming soon! Our cockpit footwell volume was reduced. Cabin ventilation was enhanced with the addition of a Lewmar Ocean 30 below the nesting dinghy. Inside the cabin, we now have more space! Our galley area has more elbow room, the new navigation station is in progress, and the cabin design is more open. The cabin sole also has 2 more usable feet of space (we are installing new sole as a result of the water tank project), and now there is ample room for a yoga mat!
We are happy with the companionway redesign! Exit and entry are easier than before, and we are excited to test our watertight hatch at sea! With this big project done, we are one large step closer to sailing.